Monday, March 15, 2010

Cake in a mug - the perfect 5 minute treat!

So already I've been a little lazy in adding things to this blog, and so far I've only tried one new recipe (though I have been eyeing one very closely which I will try out asap!), and that is a 5 minute delish treat, a cake in a mug!

There are many variations on this creation, but I always lend myself to the infinte knowledge of 'http://www.notquitenigella.com/2009/05/29/the-five-minute-chocolate-mug-cake/' , which is the source of today's recipe!
So the essential idea behind it is that you just put a small amount of normal cake ingredients into a mug, and popping it in the microwave. This recipe takes 5 minutes and is a piece of cake! (or should I say a 'mug' of cake? :P)
(Excluding those of you who actually OWN microwaves. I was astonished at how many people didn't own a microwave! How do you eat leftovers and
make popcorn? But I digress...)
So there is no massive secret behind the making of this creation, it is as simple as banging them all into a mug and placing it in the microwave for 1 - 1 1/2 minutes on a medium heat, and it's ready to eat!


But please remember!!! This recipe calls for oil, as butter may burn, but do not do this! Oil is such a dominant taste, it really does contaminate the flavour, you can use butter, or better yet, margerine (healthy!). As the butter is in the batter, it will not burn as it cooks.

Note: Keep in mind that microwaves vary and I'd begin with just a minute and testing it with a cake tester. It is not very nice when overcooked, so I would lean towards underdoing it, as it will cook slightly in it's own heat even after you remove it.
So you can really serve this with anything; icecream, strawberries, a chocolate sauce - it's the perfect snack!

~ "Food for thought is no substitute for the real thing" - Walt Kelly


3 comments:

  1. CELIA! hahaha
    i tried that before too :P
    it doesnt taste the best but its okay! hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  2. WANT <3
    especially with ice cream. that sounds particularly tempting. damn my lack of baking/cooking skills, maybe this is around my level.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG ur blog is FULL OF CAKES AND FOOD <3 YUMMY I WANT THEMMMM. Make me something Celia =DDDD
    I can't cook AT ALL D;

    ReplyDelete