Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Fun with colour :)

Good afternoon!
So on Monday the 8th (due to most of the school being absent for whatever reason), assembly was cancelled, and a grade wide picnic was arranged! Despite being warned not to, we indulged ourselves in purely donuts, cake, biscuits, fizzy drink, slice, cupcakes and, of course, vast amoun
ts of chocolate! Each was assigned their own area, being slice, drinks, cake etc., and I was assigned the role of cupcakes (YAY)!
Soo because everyone in my tutor group was probably getting tired of my same ol' same ol' butter cupcakes, I decided to stir the mixing bowl a little (:P). Before I begin, however, I would like to point out that all credit goes to Baking Bites at www.bakingbites.com If you would like to try out this recipe, you can search it there :)

Alright, so these would have to be the cutest cupcakes I have ever made. Though they didn't turn out as vividly as the ones on the site... well the picture always looks better than the result :P
So here it is.
But I do get the feeling that the reason it didn't turn out as bright as on the site is that I probably used about 1/3 of what they would have, because taste is a big factor here.
I really do hate the chemically taste of over coloured mixture.
Also, as you might be able to pick, the cupcake doesn't really look 'right'. This is probably because because I had to replace butter with vegetable oil, because butter browns the cupcake, which is a great indicator to if the cake is cooked. The brown would have drastically messed with the colours and would not have made it look very good at all.
Also, cooking was very important. I always find it is better to under cook than overcook because even when it's cooling, the heat is cooking it slowly. Because of all the colouring, the consistency was more thin than usual, so I had to make sure that it was cooked just right, because as bad as burnt cupcakes are, gooey ones are worse.

So anyway, the actual making of this cupcake required... patience! I had to split the batter into 5 different bowls and add the colouring to them separately, as well as adding them to the cupcake tin in layers. PHEW! Tough work, as well as the fact that I was panicking that the layers would merge, making a disgusting brownish colour.
As I had said earlier, I had to replace butter with vegetable oil. As healthy as this is, oil is a very dominant taste, and can override any flavour with a nasty oily aura that ruins the sweetness of it all. To my surprise, it didn't turn out AS badly as I had thought, but this is definitely a presentation rather than taste creation.

But I was more than happy to fix this with a large dollop of white icing on the top to accentuate the colours :) I piped this on very easily with a zip lock bag with the corner cut out, to get a nice round shape. I really do hate washing up...

Anyway, this went down very well with my peers in my tutor group, and though I am happy I gave this recipe a try, in all honesty, it's a 8.5/10 for looks and a 4/10 for taste.
So if you want something that is great at first impressions, this is the recipe to try :D Great for kids!

Bye :D Stay tuned for a 5 minute cake creation!

~ "Food for thought is no substitute for the real thing" - Walt Kelly

1 comment:

  1. That is one very colourful cupcake. XD Which reminds me that Cindy & Lisa are still making cakes in ceramics...and that we miss you very much.

    I seriously don't know where you find the time to make all this ... not that I'm looking for time to make them - seeing as I have the patience of like ... I have no patience.

    They all look really yummy though - including this one ...

    <3

    ReplyDelete